Meet Kuya Dave Agbayani! I first knew of his existence on the bus ride going to Rizal for the Xtraordinary Youth Camp. He basically dominated the microphone in the bus and just kept cracking jokes, one after the other. Most were corny and some were, as Bus 3 would say it, "KADIREHHH." What made most of us really laugh was his laugh. It was half laughing and half gasping for air. Little did I know that this super sabaw person would actually be one of the people who would make the greatest impact on me in the camp.
We weren't groupmates, and surely we weren't roommates either. We never shared a table for lunch. Our only conversation went something like this: Mendoza? Here. However, ever since that first worship night at camp, I had resolved to tell him how amazing he was. It was because that night, I first heard him sing.
The sky had already gone dark. The sound of a ball dribbled in the court had long ceased. The cafeteria had closed and there were no people sitting on the benches under the big tree. Lying in the cabin, one could hear a faint sound of music from the main hall, but no one was in the cabins. With arms raised high and voices filled with awe and wonder, everyone was in the hall singing in His name. It was no exaggeration to say that everyone was crying their hearts out, and that included me.
It felt amazing. It wasn't only because I was worshipping Him, but also because I was worshipping Him with all those people around me. I wasn't walking alone in faith. No one was. As I glanced at the people on stage, my eyes fell on him. His head was titled up and his eyes closed. He had such a peaceful look on his face. I could feel that he was truly moved by God--filled to an overflow of His love. He didn't sing much on the microphone after that, but it didn't matter. His voice might had drowned in the harmony of everyone's, but the atmosphere around him was beyond words to describe. Basking in the light of His grace. That was how it probably was.
I have been hoping to hear him sing in church after that, but I've never seen him since the end of the camp. In compensation, I checked out his Facebook profile and found a couple of videos of covers and original songs. My favourite song of his is Ngiti (although I don't exactly approve of his hairstyle in that video).
I wonder if I'm going to know him more in the future. Nevertheless, I'm sure to be a fan for a very long time.
I wonder if I'm going to know him more in the future. Nevertheless, I'm sure to be a fan for a very long time.
